The town of Maitland is one of the oldest incorporated municipalities in Central Florida. During the Second Seminole Indian War, the town was named after Fort Maitland, which was built in 1838 on the western shore of Lake Fumecheliga/ Maitland. The area was put into extensive citrus production after the Civil War and is now regarded as a suburb of Orlando.
Maitland features art centers, a public library and a senior center that organizes a number of family programs. Other recreational activities include water sports, fishing, soccer, biking and hiking, restaurants, baseball courts, shopping areas, boating, swimming and a softball complex.